Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Preferred Provider in Boulder CO


Stephanie Bryan emailed the lifering.org website yesterday:

I'm a therapist in private practice in Boulder.  I recently learned about LifeRing as I was searching for a secular support system for a client.  I attended a Wednesday meeting in Denver, learned about Empowering Your Sober Self, found copies at The Tattered Cover (the premier locally-owned bookstore in Denver) for my client and myself, read the book in its entirety and loved it, took my client to a Thursday meeting in Denver, was able to purchase a copy of Recovery by Choice at that meeting, and was able to use it with my client before he left town for a long-term in-patient treatment program in Arizona for people age 17-25.

I purchased two copies of Recovery by Choice directly from the LifeRing Service Center so I will have them for future clients.  I notice you do not have any treatment providers listed in Colorado, so I was wondering if I could be listed.  This is what I would like:

Stephanie Bryan, LCSW, CAC III, NCAC II
REAL Parenting
1530 55th Street
Boulder, CO  80303
303-397-0646

"I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Certified Addictions Counselor, and Certified Parent Coach.  I have worked in mental health and addictions since 1984.  My parent education and parent coaching work is primary prevention, helping parents raise kids who won't make some of the poorer choices their parents made.  I recently learned about LifeRing when I was seeking a secular recovery program for a client.  I attended some LifeRing meetings, read Empowering Your Sober Self, and realized the LifeRing approach is compatible with the clinical work I do.  I am trained in Cognitive Behavior Therapy, EMDR, and Brainspotting."

My website is www.REALParenting.net.

Stephanie:
Thanks for your post.  On the lifering.org website there is a "Find Treatment" tab and a page listing "Preferred Providers."  Preferred providers are, of course, providers like yourself who offer their clients treatment modalities beyond (or other than) 12-step.  We do not charge for these listings, although we always appreciate it when listed providers make a tax-deductible donation.  I, as the webmaster, am sometimes slow in responding to emailed requests for a listing, particularly when the request doesn't indicate any particular affinity with the LifeRing approach.  Sometimes the requests come from stone 12-step programs that are pretending to be better than they are so as to lure more clients.  But in a case like Stephanie's I am happy not only to post her listing, but to feature it in this blog, because Stephanie has actually read and used LifeRing literature with a client and has personally checked out a LifeRing meeting.  That makes her a Preferred Provider, for real!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Martin,
I would also like to be posted as a 'preferred provider' in Madison WI. You should know that my private practice is a distict alternative to 12-Step [check out my listing on the Psych. Today Therapist Directory which starts: "AA Not Your cup of tea, come see me." You should also know that I when there was a Lifering group in Madison I actively referred people to it and distributed their literature along with my own for SMART Recovery. You shotuld also know that I've resigned from the SMART Recovery Board of Directors, so you can consider me a free agent. Finally I've opened my own independent practice: Henry Steinberger, Ph.D.; Advanced Psychotherapy & Recovery Options; 313 Price Place, Suite 209; Madison, WI Phone: 608-692-0337. And thanks. I'm still going to get a review of your book into the SR News & Views.